The Lighthouse Board recommended a light of third order be constructed in the Fenwick Island vicinity. The organization is open to all and depends on dues and contributions to maintain the lighthouse. Visitors can enter the base to view a small museum and gift shop. Erected during a period of rapid expansion and improvement in the nation’s system of aids to navigation, the structure is the only brick, conical-type lighthouse ever built in the state. In 1859, when the lighthouse was completed, houses for the lighthouse keeper, his assistant, and their families were constructed; and they became permanent residents of Delaware’s most southern beach. According to 2010 census figures, the population of the town is 379, a 10.8% increase over the last decade. Personal Income Tax The town is located on Fenwick Island, a barrier spit. Mobile Apps Delaware Topics State Agencies [1], U.S. National Register of Historic Places, "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Fenwick Island Light", "New” Friends of the Fenwick Island Lighthouse website, Official Fenwick Island Lighthouse Website, Chesapeake Bay Lighthouse Project - Fenwick Island Light, History of the National Register of Historic Places, Category:National Register of Historic Places in Delaware, Portal:National Register of Historic Places,, Lighthouses on the National Register of Historic Places in Delaware, National Register of Historic Places in Sussex County, Delaware, Articles using NRISref without a reference number, Infobox mapframe without OSM relation ID on Wikidata, Pages using infobox lighthouse with NRHP heritage, Pages using infobox lighthouse with NRHP embedded, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, place listed on the National Register of Historic Places, This page was last edited on 9 December 2020, at 03:16. State Employees The Fenwick Island Lighthouse was completed on December 29, 1858, but would not be lit until August 1, 1859. Fenwick Island is named for Thomas Fenwick who owned the land at the turn of the eighteenth century. The "isolated" lighthouse now stands surrounded by a neighborhood of houses and businesses. The Fenwick Island Lighthouse is owned by the state of Delaware and maintained by the private, non-profit New Friends of the Fenwick Island Lighthouse. Delaware State Code Public outcry eventually saw the light saved and relit, and the historic lighthouse tower and buildings were fully restored through private funding in 1998. The land it is built on was purchased for just $50, and construction was completed in 1858. In 1856, the United States Congress appropriated $25,000 for the Fenwick Island Lighthouse and on January 11, 1858 a ten-acre tract for the station was obtained from Mary C. Hall for only $50. It currently uses its original third-order Fresnel lens to cast its beam up to fifteen miles out to sea. The Fenwick Island Lighthouse was listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the Department of Interior in 1979 in recognition of its significance of the rich maritime history of Delaware. [3], The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1978 and remained dark for several years. Visitors are allowed in the base to view a mini-museum and often a volunteer is available to answer questions and give historical information on the Lighthouse. Fenwick Island Lighthouse: A small bit of history - See 96 traveler reviews, 71 candid photos, and great deals for Fenwick Island, DE, at Tripadvisor. There's an interesting story behind the lighthouse and it's a very cool landmark." Another history lesson of the 1962 Northeaster damages and such to the Atlantic Coast of Delaware, which involved Fenwick Island and its lighthouse. The land was just $50 of the project’s total $24,000 cost. Transparency The brick tower stands seventy-five feet, six inches from its base to the gallery that encircles the watchroom. Our group has been growing steadily and attracting more and more interested people. Construction was supervised by U.S. Army Captain William F. Raynolds. Erected 1983 by the Friends of the Fenwick Island Lighthouse. Composed of a brick cylinder tower within a brick conical tower, the Fenwick Island Lighthouse has been an important landmark of the Delaware Coast since its opening in 1859 and its historical significance remains strong as integral part of Delaware's maritime history. State Regulations Congress appropriated $25,000 for Fenwick Island Lighthouse on August 18, 1856, and on January 11, 1858 a ten-acre tract for the station was obtained from Mary C. Hall for a mere $50. Hotels near Fenwick Island Lighthouse: (0.07 mi) Quality Inn & Suites Oceanblock (0.12 mi) 289 (38901) Bunting Ave (0.10 mi) Ric-Mar Apartments & Cottages (0.13 mi) Atlantic Coast Inn (0.31 mi) Fenwick Islander Motel; View all hotels near Fenwick Island Lighthouse on Tripadvisor Voting & Elections The lighthouse was built on an isolated peninsula in the southernmost portion of Delaware at the Maryland state line. After completion, a third-order Fresnel lens of French manufacture was installed and the light was turned on for the first time on Aug. 1, 1859. Congress authorized $25,000 for the construction of the tower on August 18, 1856. Fenwick Island is a coastal town in Sussex County, Delaware, USA. The structure dates back to 1858 making it the oldest lighthouse in the state of Delaware. In the mid Nineteenth Century, an increasing number of shipwrecks near the Fenwick Shoals, about 6 miles off-shore of Fenwick Island, prompted the United States Lighthouse Board to recommend the construction of a lighthouse to help mariners avoid the shoals. ©MMXXI, First State Heritage Park Welcome Center & Galleries, Other Historic Sites Owned by the State of Delaware, Cultural and Historical Resources Information System (CHRIS), Education Activities & Learning Opportunities, Delaware Historic Preservation Tax Credit Program. SA spotlight on one of the more than 40 historic properties owned by the State of Delaware and administered by the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs. Construction of the Fenwick Island Lighthouse Due to the dangerous shoals around the Fenwick Island coast, the United States Congress commissioned the Fenwick Island Lighthouse for $25,000 in 1856.